Gemserv welcomes the opportunity to respond to this consultation and thanks the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport and the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy for consulting further on the issue of Smart Data.
Our response draws heavily from our unique insights and energy market experience gained from delivering multiple Smart Energy programmes, across the electricity, gas, water and Internet of Things (IoT) markets. We are an expert provider of professional services enabling energy market transformation and data revolution. We work collaboratively with businesses providing insight through services ranging from the operation and support of national schemes to risk management around information security and data protection. This includes: digital transformation, scheme management, data services, project & programme management, regulatory services and procurement & commercial chain management services.
Please see our full response in the appendix. A summary of our key points is:
- We believe the objectives and benefits of Open Communications needs to cover all sectors/markets and be consistently applied and interpreted by all regulators, or a single pan-sector regulator
- A clear set of information principles is fundamental to the success of Open Communications initiatives
- The Government should establish a pan-sector regulatory framework in addition to it acting as a Smart Data facilitator
- Health, social care, charities and research bodies would benefit greatly from Smart Data initiatives
- TPPs should be liable for potential fines, regulatory and indictment action if they have been found to misuse consumer data.
If you you would like to review our full response please do click on the link below:
Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can support you in your work, share our thoughts and ideas and answer any questions you may have with regards to our response.